Wednesday, February 4, 2009

the blog's new purpose

So I have a feeling y'all have stopped checking this blog since the inauguration happened over two weeks ago and I'm back in Boulder. I have been unsure what to do with this blog because I started it to be an inauguration blog, but now I'm going to redirect it to just a general blog about my life and my entry into the journalism profession and anything that's on my mind that I find worthy of putting out into cyberspace.

So here's a mundane update. When I returned from D.C. I had to just start cranking away at school to try to make up for my missed classes. I also started working at the Colorado Statesman, a weekl legislature/Colorado politics newspaper. I haven't had a real job (and therefore real paycheck) since mid-December, so it's nice to be back in an office setting with the knowledge that a paycheck is coming my way shortly. As I think I mentioned earlier, I wrote a story for the Statesman while in DC. That will be published this Friday in an Inauguration special section. I'll post a link for it when it's on the website.

While I was in DC I was also asked by my former employer, The Colorado Shakespeare Festival, if I wanted to return as the marketing assistant to help out its new marketing director. At first my inclination was to say, 'Of Course!' and opt out of the Statesman. The idea of going back to something I've already done for almost two years now was very appealing. However, I wanted to stay with the Statesmen for the experience in a specific field/interest (politics) that could provide me with some great clips.

Sooooo, I was crazy enough to say yes to both, and today was my first official day juggling two jobs and class. I don't have class until 11 am all five days of the week, so I work 2 hours a morning at CSF. Then on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I attend my one class of the day, and catch a bus to Denver where I work for four hours in the afternoon at the Statesman.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have class from 11-5 with a lunch break.

I may be crazy for scheduling myself like this, but it's experience for the 'real world' (whatever the hell that is) where I will be working 8 or 9 to 5 hours 5 days a week. When midterm season is in full swing, I may need to lay off the hours for a bit, but both I know CSF is, and I think the Statesman seems to be, really accommodating and flexible and they acknowledge I'm a student first and foremost.

I now have to been very careful and aware of how to manage time, and I think (fingers crossed) this semester will shape out well.

I'm off to bed, since I work at 8:30 or so each morning, I have to retrain my body to go to bed a bit earlier that it's used to.

No comments: